Making Your Smile Beautiful
Not many years ago, losing a tooth left you with few options for replacement. While permanent teeth should provide a lifetime of function, it doesn’t always end up that way. They may be lost from an accident, deep cavities, or gum disease. And since teeth start as a full set, even one missing tooth may disrupt the complex function of chewing, the first step in digestion. As teeth slowly lean and migrate into extra spaces, wear and cracking from excessive forces often create escalating problems.
When it’s time to replace missing teeth, whether it’s one or a full set, several options might be available to you. Dental implants often give you the best opportunity to enjoy normal chewing and a full smile, although all therapeutic possibilities deserve consideration.
We know it’s not always easy for you to sort through the complicated possibilities. Dr. Bhandaru’s background in restorative dentistry allow them to develop solutions for every scenario.
Dr. Bhandaru is a licensed dentist who can perform various in-office cosmetic dentistry procedures that will restore your smile like new again, boost your self-confidence, and eliminate eating discomfort.
Is a Cosmetic Procedure Right for Me?
The transformative cosmetic dentistry procedures we specialize in at Carrollton Smiles can be used to:
- Brighten stained or discolored teeth
- Repair tooth cracks and fractures
- Fill gaps between adjacent teeth
- Correct teeth overcrowding
- Reshape damaged teeth
- Replace missing teeth
Replace outdated metallic dental restorations, like fillings and crowns
What Types of Cosmetic Dental Procedures are Available?
When you look in the mirror, is your smile marred by teeth that are discolored, chipped, or have excessive gaps between them? Many new patients come into Carrollton Smiles with those same issues and relate to us that those smile imperfections lower their self-confidence and oftentimes cause eating discomfort.
To correct those tooth abnormalities, one of the cosmetic dental procedures that Dr. Bhandaru uses is bonding what’s called a veneer to the patient’s natural tooth surface. A porcelain veneer, or laminate, is a wafer-thin customized shell of tooth-matching material that covers the front surface and restores the look of your tooth naturally and permanently. Your existing tooth’s color, shape, size or length can all be improved using a porcelain veneer. Dr. Bhandaru has also found that applying a veneer works well for some patients as an alternative to a tooth crown.
When Can a Veneer be Used?
Patients are good candidates for having a veneer applied to one or more of their teeth by Dr. Bhandaru when their smiles are altered by:
- Discolored and yellowed teeth
- Misaligned teeth
- Cracked or chipped teeth
- Teeth that are excessively worn down
- Teeth with large gaps between them
What are the Benefits of a Dental Veneer?
Patients we see at Carrollton Smiles who have had dental veneers applied tell us that they enjoy these benefits:
- Natural-looking smile afterwards
- Veneers are stain-resistant
- Doesn’t cause gum discomfort
- Procedure didn’t dramatically change their natural tooth’s shape and color
How is a Dental Veneer Applied?
Over the years, Dr. Bhandaru has applied just one veneer at a time for a patient, or others have decided to have several put on during the same procedure. Either way, and based upon your individual smile-enhancing objectives, the veneer application process involves these steps:
1. Initial consultation and examination. You’ll meet with Dr. Bhandaru to discuss your goals, and then he will examine your teeth and gum tissue to decide if veneers are a viable option. If everything looks okay, we’ll take X-rays and impressions of your teeth and mouth.
2. Preparing your teeth. During a follow-up visit, Dr. Bhandaru will carefully remove a slight enamel layer from each targeted tooth’s surface under a local anesthetic. We then take a model or impression of the tooth and send those results to our dental laboratory, where they will create your veneer(s). If your natural teeth are in very poor condition, temporary veneers can be placed on their surfaces.
3. Bonding and follow-up care. Once your new veneer(s) come in, we’ll schedule an appointment. During that visit, Dr. Bhandaru will trim-to-fit each veneer, do some color-adjusting with cement shading, and then prep each tooth’s surface for bonding. Using a special cement, each veneer will then be attached, and the cement activated using a special light. When that’s done, you will probably be asked to make a follow-up appointment within one month to determine how well your gums are tolerating the new veneer(s). New porcelain veneers are designed to last up to 15 years with the proper oral care. One of our staff members will instruct you on how to care for your veneer(s).
To find out if you are a candidate for the comfortable smile-improving benefits that only a porcelain veneer can deliver, schedule an initial evaluation with Dr. Bhandaru today by calling Carrollton Smiles in Carrollton, TX at (972) 245-3455!
Cavities and small fractures leave many teeth with defects that progress over time if untreated. In the past, metal restorations served a need but left many teeth discolored and strained from the wedging effect of the metal. Today, tooth-colored composites blending into tooth structure provide an excellent option for restoring defects. Composites can often be placed in thinner layers than metal, preserving more of the natural tooth.
Composites serve both functional and aesthetic roles, often at the same time. For example, a cavity invading the front of a tooth along the gum line may be visible in your smile. By gently cleaning out the soft, discolored area the decay ceases to destroy healthy mineral surfaces. And when a composite shade matching the tooth is sculpted into place, the tooth looks better than ever.
Composites contain a mix of liquid resin embedded with finely ground glass particles. After being molded against conditioned tooth structure, blue light applied directly to the composite leads to a firm set within seconds. Shaped and polished, a high shine reflecting the beauty of natural enamel results in an invisible restoration: strong, smooth, conservative.
Over the years our teeth get faded, splotchy and yellowed from certain foods, beverages, tobacco products, and poor oral hygiene. As a result, our once bright smiles become discolored and unattractive, which can affect our self-esteem, relationships and success.
One of the restorative procedures that we offer at Carrollton Smiles is teeth whitening, which is a safe, simple and comfortable process that can be done in the privacy of our office. Although there are several commercial teeth whitening products available, like toothpastes, strips and gels, they have been found to be less-effective than in-office treatments, and come with important precautions to preserve the health of your teeth. And while it’s true those at-home products work in some people, it’s always best to speak with a licensed dentist like Dr. Bhandaru prior to using them.
Why Use In-Office Teeth Whitening?
Patient after patient, the teeth whitening process we use at Carrollton Smiles gets your teeth whiter more quickly when compared to DIY methods. That’s because dentists like Dr. Bhandaru are licensed to use stronger, peroxide-containing whitening products, along with heat and light processes, that facilitate better whitening outcomes.
In-home products also have peroxide, but at strengths half or less than we use in our office. Over a series of 30 to 60-minute office visits, our hygienist applies a fast acting, peroxide-based gel to your teeth. Then, a heat and light combination is employed to activate the gel. At the end of the procedure, you’ll enjoy a whiter, brighter smile guaranteed to impress others!
What are Some Whitening Precautions?
At Carrollton Smiles, we use only the safest teeth whitening products while Dr. Bhandaru monitors your progress. Most of our patients see an improvement of 3 to 8 shades of brightness compared to when they first started. The following are precautions we use in our office, and are ones you should also be aware of when using whitening products at home:
- The higher the percentage of peroxide in the gel, paste, or tray-based system, the shorter amount of time you should leave it on your teeth. Leaving it on for longer than the specified time may result in increased teeth sensitivity and dehydration.
- You need to still brush, floss and rinse your mouth daily, especially after a big meal or before bed. Teeth whitening is not a substitute for good oral hygiene habits.
- Certain foods and beverages contain high amounts of acid and tannin. Those can quickly cause re-staining to your teeth after your whitening treatments are completed. At the very least, reduce your intake of products like white and red wine, sports drinks, black teas and coffees, berries, and sauces like tomato, curry and soy.
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of using in-office teeth whitening to improve your smile, or to make an initial consultation appointment with Dr. Bhandaru, call Carrollton Smiles today in Carrollton, TX at (972) 245-3455!
Modern dentistry offers more options than ever to help you restore and maintain an optimal level of health. While the strength and beauty of materials continue to advance, the skill of the practitioner makes a significant difference in every outcome. Dr. Bhandaru focuses on utilizing the best techniques for comprehensive care, returning even the most damaged mouths to full health.
Sometimes teeth undergo significant damage due to cavities, heavy bite forces, trauma, or even normal functioning. If a root canal is needed to salvage a severely compromised nerve, the tooth may be especially fragile. Many situations can leave teeth in danger of loss if treatment is bypassed. Dental crowns, or caps, allow these teeth to be rebuilt and covered with materials that mimic nature. Not only are most “capped” teeth indistinguishable from natural teeth, but they’re also extremely secure and comfortable.
Crowns can be crafted to repair a single tooth, multiple teeth (including the entire mouth), or in conjunction with dental implants to fill a space. In fact, when missing teeth enter the equation, special consideration might be given to placing a dental bridge or implants.
One Simple Step
Once your case is planned, two appointments leave you with a restored tooth. At the first visit, the teeth are gently prepared to allow space for crafting porcelain over the tooth by a master lab technician. Dr. Bhandaru provides all the information to a specialized lab that’s needed to create a masterpiece. A temporary crown allows you to function normally until the crown arrives for placement typically within 2-3 weeks.
After hours of custom craftwork in the lab, you’ll return for a second appointment. Dr. Bhandaru will try-in and evaluate the appearance and fit of the crown, before bonding it strongly into place. Minor adjustments to your bite and a final polish leave you with one of the finest restorations in dentistry.
When we consider the options to preserve even a single broken tooth, we use a conservative philosophy in our approach. Fortunately, modern dental materials open doors to rebuild teeth to full strength less invasively than ever before.
Sometimes teeth undergo significant damage due to cavities, heavy bite forces, trauma, or even normal functioning. Many situations can leave teeth in danger of loss if treatment is bypassed. While teeth may need to be fully “capped” with a dental crown, some smaller fractures can be perfectly formed back to health with an onlay. A crown requires a little more tooth preparation while onlays allow the unbroken portions of a tooth to be left uncut. A custom piece of porcelain, like a partial crown, is bonded to the damaged area.
Onlays blend seamlessly with the natural enamel and enhance both function and appearance. When the most conservative option fits your treatment plan, Dr. Bhandaru may suggest an onlay for ultimate restoration.